I've enjoyed lurking and looking, but I haven't done a lot of crafting this year.
I'm going to redo my den/guest room/office this summer, and am trying to keep the costs down.
I fell in love with this: The Stratton Daybed with baskets (in mahogany) with the Duncan Stripe Daybed cover
. This is a pricey item, so I need to get crafty and sneaky to get the rest of "the Pottery Barn" look, without spending a lot on the rest of the room. I want the room to be earthy and cozy. I also want to bring in some natural fibers or textures like in the baskets under the daybed. The room is a muted mustard yellow. (Sounds awful, but it's actually pretty)
I realized I have a bunch of stuff in the garage and basement I might be able to use, but of course, none of it is the right color for the new room.
• an ikea dresser and shelf in white laminate, probably mdf
• a few Target shelves in mdf with a papery faux wood finish
• a metal filing cabinet in black
• an old steamer trunk from college in black. Looks like leather, probably is plastic. Was bought from army/navy store.
• 2 unfinished wooden wine crate halves
x posted to craftgrrl
Any suggestions or tips on how to repurpose that stuff? I was thinking spray paint, fabric, wallpaper or fibers (like cheap bamboo roll up blinds or something?). Have any of you redone anything like that? What did you use and how well did it work? Anything fail miserably? Thanks!